- Follow the backchannell conversation on Twitter #rEDOnt
- Create a culture (consistent routines, norms, habits, high expectations, and behavioural feedback) in class and schools where all can flourish. @tombennett71
- Ask “do you have any evidence on why we should be doing that” the next time a new educational initiative or strategy is proposed to you. @tombennett71
- “Nothing works everywhere — Everything works somewhere” - @DTWillingham
- Keep on Reading. Here are a few recommendations from speakers. Barak Rosenshine paper ‘Principles of Instruction’, ‘Why Don’t Students Like School’ by Daniel T Willingham, ‘Creating the Schools Our Children Need’ by Dylan Wiliam, ‘The hidden lives of Learners’ by Graham Nuthall, ‘Cognitive Load Theory’ by John Sweller, ‘Focus: Elevating the Essentials to Radically Improve Student Learning’ by Mike Schmoker, Why Knowledge Matters by E. D. Hirsch, Jr., ‘Strengthening the Student Toolbox’ by John Dunlosky
- Watch out for stealth “Social and Emotional” assessment and data mining “a la” Cambridge Analytica! @Educhatter
- “Skills are likely to be best developed relative to some content” @ZwaagstraM
- “It’s best to know what you are looking for before you look for it” Winnie the Pooh. Be clear and provide learning intentions up front with your students. @EvaHartell
- “Growth mindset has to be pinned to effective strategy”. @teacherhead
- Watch out for over corrections (new paradigms and extreme actions in education) and get some hip-waders to help challenge new ideas that may not be evidence-based. @erickalenze
Here are my ten takeaways from the ResearchEd 2018 Toronto Conference based on attending the Friday Keynote by ResearchEd founder Tom Bennett, the Saturday Keynote by Professor Daniel Willingham, five workshops (Paul Bennett, Eva Hartell, Michael Zwaagstra, Eric Kalenze, and Tom Sherrington) and the closing Panel on the Future of Evidence Informed Education.
I am a Business and Learning Strategies teacher at Port Credit Secondary School. Member of OSSTF Branch Executive and Communications and Education Services Committees. I also coach Basketball and Badminton and support the Chess and Grade 9 Boys Club.